If you are planning on travelling abroad with your pet cat, dog or ferret, please be aware of the changes to pet travel since the UK left the European Union in January 2021.

GB-issued pet passports are no longer valid and you will need an appointment with your pet at the vet for an Animal Health Certificate.

This will be issued no more than 10 days before travel and for each trip you take. You must nominate an Official Veterinarian (OV) to check your pet has met the correct health and identification requirements before travel. Dr Andrew Monchar, Director of Two By Two Veterinary Centre, has OV status from the Animal and Plant Health Agency and is able to issue Animal Health Certificates and Export Health Certificates.

When travelling to the EU or Northern Ireland, your pet needs to have received a microchip implant and a valid rabies vaccination administered after they are 12 weeks old. If you are travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta with your dog, you will also need tapeworm treatment for each trip given no less than 24 hours and no more than 5 days before you arrive. For travel to a non-EU country, the pet export process is unchanged since Brexit.

You will need to be issued an Export Health Certificate (EHC) and complete an export application form.

We suggest contacting the APHA Centre for Animal Imports & Exports in Carlisle as early as possible to find out your export requirements. Remember to check the rules of the country you’re travelling to for any additional restrictions or requirements before you travel. See the government website for further information.

Please contact us well in advance of travel to book your appointment.

Click here for further in-depth information on our website.